Thursday, January 26, 2012

Penn Slammer 460 Spinning Reel

This is one of Penn's top spinning reels with six ball bearings and an all metal housing. The feel of the 460 on my rod is a heavy one. I was a bit perplexed at first because I am used to 9 ounces or less for a reel this size. But the weight proved to be something I could handle. It definitely threw my balance off on the rod I was using. I tried the 460 on a seven foot Hurricane Red Bone, normally reserved for a lighter reel. Perhaps on a Penn Slammer spinning rod the balance would have been better.

The reel performed superbly. I was able to crank off some rather long casts with little effort. The spool allows the line to leave with very little friction.

The 4.6 to 1 ratio is a little slower than I like. It makes me work harder on a fast retrieve lure to obtain the action I want.

One very nice feature is the HT 100 drag. It is as smooth a drag as I have encountered and works without any loping or surging. I was impressed by the way it handled a large redfish on this trip.

The reel has a metal housing, which is why the total weight is more than other reels in these dimensions. But that housing will go a long way toward making this one last for a long time.